Thursday, February 12, 2009

Amigurumi - I'm a goner!

I loved the cute Chinese Zodiac patterns I found in the new Knit1. The only problem was they were crocheted and I don't know how to crochet. I had a neighbor when I was little (about 100 years ago) who did a lot of crocheting -- especially those lovely hats made out of beer cans -- and she would show me how to crochet with her. I never made anything except for one huge, ugly granny square. But, I thought I would give these a shot.

I was surprised how easy it was to make these. I practiced a little and watched a video just to be sure I was doing it correctly. They come together really quick and are SO CUTE. I was struggling trying to sew the little arms & legs on without messing up all of my work. But again, I found a great video showing how to do it and it also cut down on my "sewing" time.

Believe it or not, this is a great first-time crochet project. I noticed a few things while undertaking this project:

  • I found it easier to sew on the arms, legs, etc. before I stuffed the head and body, but that could just be me.
  • I added a couple of tails (to the rabbit and pig), but I could be a little booty-obsessed.
  • Watching a couple of quick videos on the web really made the process go much quicker and easier.
I had a lot of fun with this project. Hope you do too!!

No comments: